Detached Garages and Accessory Structures
When is a Permit Required?
A detached garage or other detached accessory structure requires a Building Permit if it is more than 10 m2 (108 sq. ft.).
A detached accessory structure is one that supports the use of a single family or two family dwelling on the same property. Other examples include:
- Storage Sheds
- Workshops, etc.
Note: If you are considering a secondary suite on your detached accessory structure, please call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140 to speak with a Zoning Development Officer.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Detached Garages & Accessory Structures brochure to learn more about construction, zoning and electrical requirements for detached accessory structures.
- Refer to the Electrical Installations homeowner guide for more information about the construction, alteration, repair or extension of any electrical installation that may be required.
Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all detached garage and carport construction projects.
- Refer to the Plumbing Installations homeowner guide for more information about the construction, alteration, repair, extension or renewal of a plumbing system, or replacement of water supply lines.
- 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- 1 copy of a construction plan and elevation drawings as outlined in the Detached Garages & Accessory Structures brochure
Note: This is not required for retail lumber store Standard Garage Packages.
- 1 completed Professional Designer's Certificate for Housing if plans are sealed by an Architect or Engineer.
- 1 completed Detached Garages & Accessory Structures Permit Application Form
- 1 completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
Separate Electrical and Plumbing permits are required, if applicable to your project:
How to apply:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply online
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com/ or call 1-800-940-3447.