Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas
When is a Permit Required?
An in-ground or above-ground pool, hot tub/spa or any other structure located outdoors requires a Building Permit if it is capable of containing 600 mm (2'-0") or more of water.
Zoning and Construction Requirements
- Refer to the Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas brochure for more information about zoning, construction and electrical requirements for outdoor private in-ground and above-ground pools, hot tubs/spas and other structures.
Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all Outdoor Pools and Hot Tub/Spa projects.
- Refer to the Decks brochure for more information about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings that may be required for associated construction.
- 1 copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all buildings, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- In-ground pools only - 1 copy of structural design drawings, sealed and signed by a Professional Engineer registered with the Province of Manitoba.
- Hot tubs/spas on existing decks - 1 copy of construction drawings of the deck to verify that the structure is capable of supporting the additional loads imposed by the placement of the hot tub/spa. Specifications, including dry weight and water capacity are also required.
- Completed Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas Permit Application Form
- Completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
Separate Deck and Electrical permits are required, if applicable to your project:
How to apply:
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
- Apply online
- In-person by visiting the Zoning & Permits office, Unit 31-30 Fort Street, Tuesday to Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com/ or call 1-800-940-3447.