Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas
The Zoning & Permits office does not accept walk-in customers and permit applications can be submitted digitally. If you have any questions, call Permits Direct Line at 204-986-5140.
Le bureau du zonage et des permis ne prend pas la clientèle qui se présente sur les lieux, et les demandes de permis peuvent être soumises de façon numérique. Pour toute question, appelez la ligne directe des permis au 204-986-5140.
When is a permit required?
An in-ground or above-ground pool, hot tub/spa or any other structure located outdoors requires a building permit if it is capable of containing 600 mm (2'-0") or more of water.
Zoning and construction requirements
- Refer to the Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas brochure for more information about zoning, construction and electrical requirements for outdoor private in-ground and above-ground pools, hot tubs/spas and other structures.
Note: A separate Electrical Permit is required for all Outdoor Pools and Hot Tub/Spa projects.
- Refer to the Decks brochure for more information about zoning and construction requirements for open, non-sheltered decks for residential dwellings that may be required for associated construction.
- one copy of a detailed site plan showing all property dimensions, location of all structures, and the location and size of the proposed structure.
Note: The City has the authority to request a current Building Location Certificate (BLC) sealed by a registered land surveyor.
- in-ground pools only - one copy of structural design drawings, sealed and signed by a professional engineer registered with the Province of Manitoba
- hot tubs/spas on existing decks - one copy of construction drawings of the deck to verify that the structure is capable of supporting the additional loads imposed by the placement of the hot tub/spa. Specifications, including dry weight and water capacity are also required.
- one completed Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs/Spas Permit Application Form
- one completed Owner Statement (not required if owner is the applicant)
Separate electrical and plumbing permits may be required
How to apply
Please ensure you have gathered all required documentation before applying.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Click before you dig
If your foundation is going to require digging below grade, visit clickbeforeyoudigmb.com or call 1‑800‑940‑3447.