Minimum Home Repair Program
The City of Winnipeg has established the Minimum Home Repair Program (MHRP) to address small emergency repairs for owner-occupied housing in designated areas.
- Grants of up to $3,000 are available for emergency repairs of problems that could result in vacating the property if not addressed.
- Grants are available in neighbourhoods where funding is specifically allocated for this program, which currently are the neighbourhoods of
- William Whyte
- North Point Douglas
To qualify for a grant from the Minimum Home Repair Program,
- funding must be available in the neighbourhood in which the property is located, and
- qualification for the program must be confirmed through an inspection by City personnel.
- A follow-up inspection is also required once the repair is completed
A cheque is issued for the grant amount upon completion of the work, and both the property owner and the contractor are identified as payees on the cheque. In this way, the owner can simply sign over the cheque to the contractor once work is satisfactorily completed. Repairs often require more funding than is available through MHRP, and in these cases other funding programs might also be suggested. These other programs include:
- the Homeowner Renovation Assistance Program (HRAP), and
- funding programs offered by other levels of government.
For more information, please contact the City by calling 311 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org