Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Planning, Property & Development

Homeowner Zoning Information

For One and Two Family Dwellings

Zoning is involved with all development and/or building on any site within the City of Winnipeg. Development means the construction of a building or structure on, over or under land, a change in the use or intensity of use of a building or land, the removal of soil or vegetation from land, the deposit or stockpiling of soil or material on land, and the excavation of land.

Zoning Maps

  • To Determine Zoning and Location of Property 
    The electronic Citizen's Information System allows citizens to locate property-related information. You can search for any civic address in the City of Winnipeg and display it on a map, which you may print or use for information pertaining to that address.

    Note: All citizens making use of this zoning information are reminded that it has been prepared for the convenience of the user, and does not include any caveats, agreements, orders or encumbrances that may be registered against the land. The City of Winnipeg expressly disclaims any responsibility for errors or omissions.

The City of Winnipeg Zoning By-law No. 200/06
This By-law applies to all areas of the city outside of the Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-law boundaries and promotes orderly and thoughtful development and growth in the city. This includes the promotion of health, safety and general welfare of the City and implementation of OurWinnipeg and adopted Secondary Plans.

Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-Law No. 100/2004
This by-law advances OurWinnipeg downtown policies.


Homeowners Permit Information

  • Homeowners Permit Information
    Provides homeowners with the information required to successfully obtain building permits for home renovations and typical building projects.


Development Applications:

Residential Zoning Variance (DAV "B") Application - Single Family Dwelling or Two Family Dwelling
Application required for single and two-family dwellings where certain dimensional standards of the Zoning By-law cannot be met. A variance is a request to modify those standards as applied to a specific property.

Home-Based Business (Major) Condit ional Use (DCU "B") Application
Any use not listed as a permitted Home Occupation and also not listed as a prohibited Office Facility may be approved as Conditional Use pursuant to provisions of the City of Winnipeg Charter.

Downtown Variance and Conditional Use (DAV/DC U "B") Application
The Downtown Winnipeg Zoning By-law is the instrument used to regulate land use and promotes orderly development and design within the Downtown. There are rules for development regarding residential and non-residential use, bulk, parking and loading, signs and urban design. When it is either impossible or impractical to meet these requirements, a Variance (DAV) application may be filed to modify provisions of the Zoning By-law.

Conditional Use means a use of a building or land that may be unique in its characteristics or operation, which could have an impact on adjoining properties. In accordance with the City of Winnipeg Charter, a Conditional Use is a use of land listed as "Conditional" within the use table of a zoning district.

Plan of Subdivision (DAS) Application - that creates a street
Application procedure for subdividing property, including consolidation of lands where a new public street or lane is being created and a zoning change is not required. The public hearing process is required.

Short Form Subdivision (DASSF)
Application procedure for subdividing property, including consolidation of lands where a new public street or lane is NOT being created and a zoning change is not required. The public hearing process is not required unless an agreement for subdivision or servicing is necessary.

Plan of Survey (DAPS) Application
Parcel Plans are generally prepared for descriptive purposes and when registered at Land Titles do not in themselves divide the title. "Parcels" as opposed to "Lots" characterize plans of Survey and letters (A, B, C, etc.) identifies parcels. The City of Winnipeg must approve the application before Land Titles will accept the registration.

Consent Application (CA)
A Consent Certificate is the planning authority approval to separate a parcel from a title.

Attached Secondary Suite (DCU "B") Conditional Use Application
Application required only in instances when the attached secondary suite use does not meet the applicable Use Specific Standards of Zoning By-law No. 200/2006.

Detached Secondary Suite/ Care Home (DCU "C") Conditional Use Application
Application is required when the detached secondary suite use is deemed to be "conditional" under the property's zoning district. Conditional Use means a use of a building or land that may be unique in its characteristics or operation, which could have an impact on adjoining properties.

Last update: July 9, 2018

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.