Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux
Parks and Open Space

Off-Leash Area FAQ

How long will it take to get an OLA established in my neighbourhood?
The process can take anywhere from 10 weeks to one year depending on the scale of project, type of area proposed and nature of land designation and funding requirements. Requests can be denied at any stage of the process.
What rules will the OLA have to follow if it moves forward?
Any OLA is subject to all Parks By-Laws as well as the Responsible Pet Ownership By-Laws.
What will the hours of operation be for new OLAs?
As per the Parks By-Law, the hours of operation (unless otherwise posted) will be 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Who will be responsible to maintain the OLA?
Unless an organization is identified as the Steward of the OLA, Parks and Open Space will maintain the park as part of their existing service delivery, while enforcement will be responsibility of the Animal Services Division.
How can I arrange for summer use of Community Centre hockey pens as an OLA?

If you wish to have a hockey pen designated as an off-leash area, you must work with the community centre on an application and follow the existing process:

As per the Universal Funding Formula Agreement between the City of Winnipeg, General Council of Winnipeg Community Centres and individual community centres, individual centres are responsible for all programming activities located at their sites. To designate a seasonal Off-Leash Area (OLA) in a hockey pen at a centre, the board must submit a written and approved motion annually by April 30 to the Manager of Parks and Open Space. Parks will ensure the CC is aware of their responsibilities for maintenance related to the OLA, and Parks will provide appropriate signate.

Once these conditions are met, and the designation of the OLA in the hockey pen is approved, the City's website, and Animal Services will be updated for the seasonal designation.

What does the process include to get a dog park?
View the full process, along with all the steps: Off-Leash Dog Areas Master Plan (OLAMP) Implementation Procedures

Last update: May 5, 2021
Contact the Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1

Phone, Fax, Email: 311

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.