Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
Should you have a weed concern please contact 311
Homeowner responsibilities for weed control
City maintenance responsibilities for weed control on boulevards
- Boulevards beside a Regional (P1) street - Address Lookup Tool;
- Boulevards flanking properties beside a regional street;
- Ditches where grass has never been planted;
- Boulevards at the rear of a property;
- Extended boulevards - meaning a boulevard that is at least 20 feet wide as measured from the roadway to the sidewalk or property line.
The primary services of IPM are to effectively and efficiently:
- Provide a mowing program for minimizing weed seed production on vacant undeveloped property;
- Provide a herbicide treatment program for controlling weeds in parks, boulevards and other green space;
- Provide support services (mowing of private properties) to the Community By-law Enforcement Services;
- Liaise with 311 to provide service request information.
The City's weed control program changed in 2015 when new provincial legislation was introduced (Non-Essential Pesticide Use Regulation under the Environment Act) which restricts traditional pesticide use on lawns. As a result, the City could no longer use certain pesticides on grassed boulevards, parks and athletic fields. Instead, the City mows dandelions at these locations.
Organic lawn care
For more information on how you can reduce weeds by keeping a healthy lawn please check out the City of Winnipeg's Organic Lawn Care site.
Herbicide Treatment Buffer Zone
Individuals opposed to the use of herbicides can register for a Herbicide Treatment Buffer Zone. Requests are to be submitted in writing to:
Parks and Open Space Division Integrated Pest Management Services 105 - 1155 Pacific Avenue Winnipeg, MB R3E 3P1