Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Parks and Open Space

Frequently Asked Questions for Winnipeg Parks

Questions and Answers

Expand all | Collapse all

What are the hours of the Witches Hut in Kildonan Park?
The Witches Hut is located in Kildonan Park by the creek. It is open daily from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. from May long weekend to September.

Depending on staffing, the Witch's Hut may be closed periodically during the day to allow for breaks. Note will be on the door (closed for 30 minutes).

Hut closed on rain days.

Closed October to Mid May.
How often are the Play Structures inspected and who maintains them?
The park's play structures are inspected every 10 to 14 days, with minor maintenance being completed by the inspectors. The Centralized Services Branch of the Parks and Open Space Division does all the maintenance on the structures, benches, bleachers and picnic tables.
Why isn't the grass cut more often?
The turf is maintained in a vigorous, healthy condition to a height of 3" by cutting it in a 10 day cycle. Cutting too often and/or too short will lead to a weakened plant, which will be more susceptible to weed infestations. A healthy lawn smothers weeds, prevents weed seeds from germinating and is less susceptible to diseases.
What are the Park hours?
Winnipeg Parks are open for use from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. on average. Some parks will identify the park hours on a sign leading into the park. Many of our community parks have no time limits posted.
How can I have a name plaque put on a park bench?
You can dedicate a bench to a loved one through the Park Bench Donation Program. You will need to find out your Area's Technician by contacting 311. You can also read the Bench Brochure.

By donating a bench you have the option of placing a bronze plaque (8" x 2") on it for an additional cost. Read more about the Park Bench Donation Program here.
What is an Adopt a Park? Who should I contact?
Are you interested in keeping your neighbourhood park tidy? Maybe you'd just like to spend an hour a week working on the shrub beds. Whether you are a group of neighbours, a church group, a day care centre, or a school class, we are looking for interested parties who would be willing to assist us in maintaining your park. Activities include: litter pickup, shrub bed maintenance, gardening or any other activity that will help keep your neighbourhood park looking great. The city will do it's regular maintenance such as grass cutting and play structure inspections and maintenance. If you are interested please contact 311 to get in touch with your area's technician.
When can I expect my park to be cut?
Once every 10 to 12 days is a normal cutting cycle, depending on the weather conditions.
Who looks after weeds in a park?
The Integrated Pest Management Branch of Parks and Open Space Division would be involved in solving weed infestations in parks. If it is a concern with weeds coming through cracks in the asphalt or sidewalk curbs, then the areas Pesticide Applicators would deal with it.
Does the city prune the shrubs in a park?
The city's area staff would prune any of the shrubs within parks, with the exception of large overgrown shrubs that have become too extensive for the equipment the area may have. Large trees within the parks will be taken care of by Forestry staff.
Who prunes the trees in a park or boulevard if they overhang onto my property?
If the tree branches are causing damage to your house, you should contact 311 to request a Forestry Technician to come out and assess the situation. If it is deemed a priority, for example your house shingles are being damage, then Forestry will come and remove the limb.
What are the park amenities / facilities in the different parks?
Each park will have different facilities or amenities. Amenities within parks can be searched through the Parks and Open Space interactive web map.
Who picks up the dog feces in the park?
It is the responsibility of the dog owner to pick up after their pet. Whether in a regional park, tot lot or an off-leash dog park, always remember to clean up after your pet.
Grass is not being cut along the Northeast Pioneers Greenway. Why?
Naturalized areas and plants along the Northeast Pioneers Greenway are part of a No Mow Zone. Read more here.
Who looks after decorating the City Hall Christmas Tree?
The Christmas Tree in front of City Hall is partially decorated on the donor's property. The decorating is done by the Urban Forestry Branch of Parks and Open Space Division. The Forestry staff with the assistance of a crane, cut down the tree and transport it overnight to it's new location in front of Winnipeg's City Hall. Decorating is completed on site and the tree is lit by the Mayor and the donors of the tree. This past year we had the opportunity to use the new LED lights which require much less power to light up.
Who decorates the lights downtown?
The holiday lighting for downtown is done by the same branch of Public Works that cleans up Graffiti in the summer months. Public Service Operations is responsible for all lighting requirements for the holiday lighting on Main Street and Portage Avenue as well as supplying the Forestry Division with the new LED lights for the City Hall Christmas Tree.
How can I donate my tree for City Hall?
Interested members of the community can donate their tree by calling 311. The Urban Forestry Staff will choose the tree that best fits the criteria. The tree must be 12 to 15 metres tall and fully symmetrical with a single trunk. It must be easily accessible from the front yard of the homeowner, so that Forestry staff can decorate the top half of the tree on site. More information about the City Hall Christmas Tree can be found here. Forestry staff will remove the tree, cleanup the debris and remove the stump to approximately 2" below ground level.
What are the skating hours in the parks?
Skating hours are from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. More information on pleasure rinks and skating ponds can be found here.
When can I expect the toboggan slides to be ready?
Toboggan slides are usually open by mid to late December depending on the weather situation. Please check the following link for more information: Toboggan Hills and Slides in Winnipeg Parks.
Are the park pathways cleared in the winter?
Some pathways are cleared but many are not, due to having less staff in the winter months. We do try to keep the pathways in the larger parks clear as well as some pathways downtown.
Is there lighting in parks that have skating rinks?
All the pleasure skating rinks that have a warm up shelter will have some lighting; other rinks may or may not have lighting.
Can I drink liquor in a park or serve liquor at a park booking event?
Under the Provincial Liquor and Gaming Act Section 57(1): it is illegal to consume or posses liquor in a public place such as a park.


Last update: July 5, 2018
Contact the Public Works Department
General Office Hours
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday to Friday
1155 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 3P1

Phone, Fax, Email: 311