Graffiti control by-law
On November 21, 2007, City Council passed By-Law # 204/2007.
- Prohibits the sale of spray paint to persons under 18 years of age and requires retailers to post signs notifying the public of this restriction.
- Requires retailers to store spray paint in a secure storage space that is locked or otherwise inaccessible to the public.
The City of Winnipeg is providing you with this information as part of an education campaign to better inform retailers, who may sell spray paint, and the general public of the requirements of the Graffiti Control By-Law. Active enforcement of the By-Law began on June 15, 2008.
As a reference, here is an example of secure / locked or otherwise inaccessible storage areas. Secure /locked or otherwise inaccessible storage areas may not be limited to examples shown and retailers may determine other secure storage configurations acceptable to the City of Winnipeg.
Section 178(1) of The City of Winnipeg Charter provides that, unless a By-Law provides otherwise, the maximum penalty for a violation of a By-Law is $1000 for an individual and $5000 for a corporation.
- Graffiti Control Brochure
- By-Law # 204/2007
- Sign For Retailers: English | français
- Secure/Locked Area Examples