Minnetonka Street Traffic Calming Project
UPDATE - March 2022 - Based on analysis and community engagement, the proposed traffic calming design for Minnetonka Street between River Road and Riel Avenue has been revised, and is now considered the final design to be implemented in 2022.
- Map 1: Minnetonka Street (Riel Avenue to Riverbend Avenue) final design – construction in 2022 - UPDATED
- Map 2: Minnetonka Street (Riverbend Avenue to River Road) final design – construction in 2022 - UPDATED
- View the Community Engagement Report and appendices
Modifications to the design resulted in lower overall project costs, and therefore funding is available to proceed with the entire study segment this year. The Class 3 cost estimate for the final design is $195,000. The final design includes the following improvements:
- All-way stop signs will be installed at the intersection of Minnetonka Street and Riel Avenue
- Stop signs will be removed on Riel Avenue at Winslow Drive
- All-way stop signs will be installed at the intersection of Minnetonka Street and Woodlawn Avenue/Riverbend Avenue
- Stop signs will be removed on Minnetonka Street at Greendell Avenue
- The westbound right turn channel at the intersection of Minnetonka Street and Riverbend Avenue will be removed and converted to a simple right turn
- Transit stops will be consolidated along Minnetonka Street. New transit stops will be installed at the intersection of Woodlawn Avenue/Riverbend Avenue. The new transit stops will be accessible and connect to existing sidewalk. Transit stops at Millfield Drive and Greendell Avenue will be removed
- A total of four speed tables will be installed between Riel Avenue and River Avenue. Changing stop signs and consolidating transit stops has allowed us to fit more speed tables into the design
- A sidewalk will not be constructed on Minnetonka Street between Riel Avenue and Woodlawn Avenue/Riverbend Avenue as part of this project, but may be explored in the future through other initiatives
- Curb extensions will not be installed between Riel Avenue and Woodlawn Avenue/Riverbend Avenue
- Curb extensions will be installed on Minnetonka Street between Woodlawn Avenue/Riverbend Avenue and River Road
- Minnetonka Street is a two-lane, undivided, residential collector street.
- There is a sidewalk on the east side of the street south of Riverbend Avenue. There are no sidewalks on Minnetonka Street north of Riverbend Avenue.
- The speed limit is 50 km/h and there is also a reduced speed school zone south of Woodlawn Avenue to River Road, where a 30 km/h speed limit applies 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, September to June.
- Minnetonka Street is a transit route which serves Route 16 Selkirk-Osborne.
- In terms of traffic control, there is a two-way stop-controlled intersection at Riel Avenue, a three-way stop-controlled intersection at River Road, and a four-way stop-controlled intersection at Greendell Avenue.
- The daily traffic volume on Minnetonka Street is less than 1,000 vehicles per day, which is low for a residential collector street, which typically accommodate up to 5,000 vehicles per day.
- In terms of land use, Minnetonka School is located on the east side of Minnetonka Street at the intersection of River Road. The school provides kindergarten to grade eight education.
- Parking is allowed on the west side of Minnetonka Street, however, in front of the school, parking restrictions are in place to provide a school-side loading zone on the east side of Minnetonka Street.
Need for traffic calming
Due to speeds in the reduced speed school zone, Minnetonka Street between River Road and Riverbend Avenue was identified as a high priority location through the City's Residential Area Traffic Calming Program.
Traffic data was collected in September 2020:
- Within the reduced speed school zone, the 85th percentile speed, which is the speed at which 85 percent of motorists travel at or below, is 39 km/h during the times of day that the 30 km/h speed limit applies. During the times that a 50 km/h speed limit applies, the 85th percentile speed is 45 km/h. Traffic calming measures are proposed to help slow speeds within the 30 km/h reduced speed school zone.
- North of the reduced speed school zone, between Riverbend Avenue and Riel Avenue, a 50 km/h speed limit applies and the 85th percentile speed is 47 km/h. Sidewalks are not provided on this section of Minnetonka Street, so pedestrians share the road with cyclists and motorists. Pedestrian improvements are proposed on this section of Minnetonka Street to improve safety. Traffic calming measures are also proposed to provide a consistent design along the corridor and help slow speeds.
Sidewalks are not provided on this section of Minnetonka Street, so pedestrians share the road with cyclists and motorists. Pedestrian improvements are proposed on this section of Minnetonka Street to improve safety. Traffic calming measures are also proposed to provide a consistent design along the corridor and help slow speeds.
Examples elsewhere in Winnipeg
For your reference, here are photos of some similar treatments installed elsewhere in the city:
Déclaration de confidentialité
Your personal information is being collected in accordance with s.36(1)(b) of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. This information will be used to manage your subscription and notification preferences. Your information will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. If you have any questions about the collection of this information, contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail to City Clerk’s Department, Administration Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9, or by telephone at 311.
Vos renseignements personnels sont recueillis au titre de l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée. Ils seront utilisés pour gérer votre abonnement et vos préférences. Ils ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville en écrivant au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou en composant le 311.