A public engagement summary of the advisory committee feedback and survey feedback is now available. The input provided by stakeholder and the public was used to develop the recommendations around vehicle for hire safety and security and amendments to the Vehicles for Hire By-law. Recommendations for the accessibility program are expected to come with the next annual update following further stakeholder engagement.
Thank you to those who provided input through the survey from September 14 to October 7, 2018. Survey input will be considered while developing future recommendations to Council on the regulation of Vehicles for Hire and how the revenue collected through the accessibility surcharge should be used. Accessible service has been and will continue to be a topic of discussion for the Vehicles for Hire Advisory Committee.
Thank you to those who attended the Accessibility and Vehicles for Hire information session on Monday, April 23. Over 40 community members attended and others joined online.
A minimum ratio of accessible vehicles is being encouraged through a surcharge mechanism:
- An accessibility surcharge of $0.07 per trip is a fee charged to both personal transportation provider dispatchers and to taxi dispatchers.
- The Accessibility Surcharge is applicable to a licensed dispatcher if less than 10% of a dispatcher’s fleet is comprised of accessible (wheelchair roll-on) vehicles demonstrated to be in operation each month (in order to qualify, an accessible vehicle must provide accessible service at least one day per week).
- All revenue from the accessibility surcharge will be used to support a program to improve accessible service within the vehicle for hire industry. The program recommendations will be developed through collecting input from industry stakeholders, the vehicle for hire advisory committee, the general public, and by conducting research to determine best practices and the types of accessibility measures that may be most effective.
Consideration of measures for the use of accessibility surcharge funds will depend on a number of factors, including stakeholder input, cost, available funds from the surcharge, and feasibility of implementation.
Companies with accessible vehicles
- All Access Taxi Ltd.
- BDC Contractors Ltd.
- Belle’s Express Transit Ltd.
- Blueline Taxi/Handi-Helper Transit Service
- Dependable Dispatch Service
- Dignity Taxi
- Divine Transit Service Ltd.
- Duffy’s Taxi
- Greencity Taxi Ltd.
- Holy Care Transit Ltd
- Maple Leaf Transport
- Silver Bullet Dispatch Services
- Spring Taxi
- Sunshine Transit Services
- Unicity Taxi
- Unijet Taxi Ltd.
- Yellow Taxi Ltd.