Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
Vehicles for Hire

PTP drivers

All Personal Transportation Provider (PTP) drivers (including limousine) should register with a PTP dispatcher. Dispatchers are required to conduct their own application process in line with the guidelines established by the City in the Vehicles for Hire By-law.

The City requires that a PTP dispatcher must not register an individual as a driver unless the individual provides the following:

  • a birth certificate or other documentation proving that he or she is at least 18 years of age
  • evidence that he or she holds a valid Manitoba driver’s licence applicable to the use of the vehicle being driven
  • accessible training certificate - only if providing accessible service
  • a criminal record check issued no more than 90 days before the application for registration was made
  • the applicant’s driver’s abstract issued by Manitoba Public Insurance

In addition, PTP Dispatchers may ask drivers to satisfy additional requirements before registering them.

The City also requires that a PTP dispatcher must not register you as a PTP driver unless you provide written consent:

  • for your personal information to be submitted to the City
  • for the City to have access to your personal information maintained by Manitoba Public Insurance, the Winnipeg Police Service and the Child Abuse Registry

Reporting changes

Drivers must immediately report to the City and their dispatcher any changes to the information provided at the time of application or most recent renewal. This includes:

  • Conviction for any relevant criminal offence or a major driving offence
  • Charges laid against you for any relevant criminal offence or for a major driving offence
  • Your registration on the child abuse registry
  • The suspension of your Provincial driver’s licence

You must also immediately report to the City any change in your medical condition that could affect your ability to drive and to maintain a Provincial driver’s licence

Relevant criminal offences include offences under an enactment of the Parliament of Canada involving:

  • actual or threatened violence;
  • weapons, including the illegal possession of weapons;
  • sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual interference, procuring, or invitation to sexual touching;
  • trafficking of controlled drugs or substances;
  • fraud, false pretences, bribery, extortion or theft over $5000; or
  • an offence related to the unlawful operation of a motor vehicle;

PTP services

PTP drivers can only be dispatched to passengers through a digital platform in exchange for electronic payment.

Individuals who operate as a PTP are not eligible to provide transportation services:

  • through a street hail
  • through a dispatch by a non-digital platform
  • in exchange for payment by any method other than electronic payment

Only an individual who is a licenced taxi driver, registered with a licenced taxi dispatcher, and is driving a licenced taxi registered with that dispatcher, can provide these transportation services.

Last update: November 3, 2021

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.