Ferry Road and Riverbend Sewer Separation Project
The City of Winnipeg Water and Waste Department has identified that changes to the existing combined sewer system are required to alleviate basement flooding and reduce the number of combined sewer overflows in the St James area.
The Ferry Road and Riverbend Combined Sewer Relief Works Conceptual Design Report and Study was completed in 2009. The study determined that the current level of service (LOS) for the district's combined sewer capacity is lower than a five year return period design storm.
Construction of new land drainage sewers (LDS) in the Ferry Road and Riverbend combined sewer district will convey wet weather runoff freeing up capacity in the existing sewers and improving the LOS. The proposed sewer separation works will be carried out over a number of years within the St. James area requiring 22 contracts due to the large scale of the work. The number of total contracts may vary depending on the scope of work.
Construction of combined sewer overflow and basement flood relief works in the Ferry Road and Riverbend combined sewer district commenced in August 2013 with Contract 1. To date, Contracts 1-4, 5 West, 5 East - Stage 1, 5 East - Stage 2 and 5 East - Stage 3 have been completed at an investment of $27 Million. 14 more construction contracts are still required to complete the Ferry Road and Riverbend sewer separation works. Details of the current contracts are as follows:
Contract No. 7a
- Contract start date: December 2019
- Expected completion date: July 2020
- Estimated cost of contract: $4.0 Million
- Scope of work: A new outfall into the Assiniboine River at Bourkevale Park will be installed. In addition, a new land drainage trunk sewer will be installed along Assiniboine Avenue from Ferry Road to Riveroaks Drive, and along Collegiate Street from Portage Avenue to Assiniboine Avenue, by a trenchless tunnel method to minimize above ground disruption and impact to local residents and the public at large.
Contract No. 7b
- Contract start date: July 2020
- Expected completion date: November 2020
- Estimated cost of contract: $2.0 Million
- Scope of work: New land drainage sewers will be installed along Roseberry Street, Parkview Street and Riveroaks Drive from Portage Avenue to Assiniboine Avenue by a trenchless tunnel method to minimize above ground disruption and impact to local residents and the public at large.
- Note: Contract 6 was delayed due to funding.
Data values on this page are representative of work completed as of June 2020.
- Letter to residents (January 2017)
- Letter to residents & businesses(January 2015)
- Letter to residents & businesses (March 2014)
- Press release: Construction underway to improve basement flood protection in the St. James area (August 2013)
- Letter to residents (August 2013)
- Letter to businesses (August 2013)
- Traffic impact map (August 2013)
- Advertisement – Metro Community Newspaper (August 2013)