Toilet replacement credit program - residential
This program is designed to conserve water and save you money on your utility bill.
The 2020 Program funding will be reviewed by City Council in March 2020. Until then, we will continue to accept applications. If funding is approved for the 2020 Program, we will process applications in the order they were received. If the 2020 Program funding is not approved, your application will not be processed and you will receive a letter to confirm the status of your application.
To be eligible for the credit you must:
- Live in a residential unit with the City utility account in your name for that residential unit you own or rent. An individual City water meter must be in place to measure the amount of water used for that residential unit.
- Be up-to-date with your utility bill payments.
- Purchase a WaterSense labelled toilet to replace an old toilet (i.e., with a flush volume of 13 litres or more). Note: Single-flush 6 litre toilets are not eligible.
- Recycle your old toilet at an approved toilet recycling depot. You must:
- remove the plastic seat and all metal parts prior to recycling
- get a receipt clearly marked with "toilet" from the depot
- Provide a water meter reading on your application when the new toilet was installed and water meter readings every quarter. We require this information to calculate the actual savings for this program.
Applying for the credit
There are two ways to apply for the Toilet Replacement Credit Program:
- Option #1:
- Option #2:
Mail or drop off a completed application form, along with your sales and recycling receipts to:
Water Conservation - Toilet Replacement Credit Program
City of Winnipeg, Water and Waste Department
110 - 1199 Pacific Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3E 3S8
- Download the application form here or contact 311 to request a copy. Make sure your sales receipt shows the name of the store, the date of purchase and the make, model name and model number of each toilet purchased.
- If dropping off your application form, our office hours are Monday to Friday (except holidays), 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Please submit applications as soon as possible as funding for the program is subject to Council approval. Applications must be submitted by December 31.
- Mail or drop off a completed application form, along with your sales and recycling receipts to:
Receiving the credit
If you are eligible, we will send you a letter advising you that we have approved your application and a credit of $60 per toilet will appear on your utility bill 6 - 8 weeks from the date of our letter. You may apply for two credits ($120) per utility account per year.
If you are not eligible, we will send you a letter advising you why you were not approved and your completed application package.
For more information:
- see our frequently asked questions,
- see the Residential Toilet Replacement Credit Program By-law,
- read the 2019 program summary report (pdf - 205kb)
- email us. Include your contact information (e.g., telephone number, address) in the body of your message. You can expect a reply from us within two business days.
- contact 311