Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Water Main Renewal Program

We have an annual Water Main Renewal Program to reduce:

  • the number of water main breaks
  • the number of service interruptions for customers
  • water loss
How many kilometres of water mains can you replace annually?

We can replace an average of approximately 12 kilometres of water mains per year. In 2018, we will spend approximately $18.5 million on our water main renewal program. Over the past 10 years, we have spent between $10.0 and $19.5 million per year to replace corroded water mains with new PVC pipe.

How do we know which water mains to renew?

We know that the number of breaks increase as a water main gets near the end of its life span. Each year we look at the number of breaks individual water mains have had during the past five years. Water mains that have a high number of breaks over that period are put onto the renewal list. After that they are scheduled each year based on their priority on the list. We also coordinate water and sewer renewals with street renewals as much as possible to avoid digging up new streets.

Will I be notified if you are going to renew the water main on my street?

Yes. We will deliver a printed notice to your home or business a week or so before construction is going to start. The notice will tell you:

  • the dates for the project
  • lane closures, if any
  • changes in services like garbage pick-up and transit, if applicable
  • the name of the contractor
  • the name and daytime contact information for the project consultant or administrator
  • to call 311 with any project concerns or questions outside of regular business hours
  • that a temporary hose line will be connected to your home
How do you coordinate renewals on major streets when access and service to businesses or large customers may be affected by construction?

We communicate with affected customers well in advance of the construction to understand their concerns and minimize the impact on business as much as possible.

The water main on my street has had several breaks in the last few years. How I can find out if it's going to be renewed?

Contact 311.

Last updated: July 23, 2018

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.