Unnecessary and expensive door-to-door water testing and treatment sales
The City of Winnipeg is aware that some residents have been approached by private companies claiming to provide unnecessary and expensive water testing or treatment solutions "approved" by the City of Winnipeg. Here's what you need to know if you receive a visit like this at your home:
- The City of Winnipeg does not authorize door-to-door salespersons to perform water quality testing.
- Occasionally, City of Winnipeg staff will contact homeowners regarding water quality issues. In all cases, our staff will have identification to verify that they are City employees – and on no occasion will City staff attempt to sell any product.
- If someone visits your home claiming to be a City of Winnipeg representative, ensure to ask for photo ID before allowing them to enter your home. All City employees will have official City of Winnipeg photo identification. If you have any concerns about the identification of a City employee, contact 311.
- In most cases, the person asking for a water sample is not a City of Winnipeg employee, but is representing a private company that sells home water treatment equipment.
- These private companies use a variety of methods to convince homeowners to purchase expensive home water treatment/filtration systems.
- Door-to-door water tests do not tell you about water safety.
- Homeowners should use discretion if presented with information indicating that their tap water requires additional treatment, especially if they are being pressured to sign contracts right away, or advised that prices offered are only available for a limited time.
- The drinking water provided by the City of Winnipeg meets or outperforms the safety and quality standards set by provincial regulators. Information about our water quality, the steps we take to ensure our water is safe, as well as the results of our rigorous testing, is available on Winnipeg.ca/waterquality.
- If you have any questions regarding Winnipeg’s drinking water, feel free to contact 311.