Compost giveaway event
To promote food source sustainability and thank the citizens of Winnipeg, we are giving away free compost from our leaf and yard waste collection program!
- October 1-3, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., while quantities last
- Brady 4R Winnipeg Depot, 1777 Brady Rd.
- Kilcona Dog Park, west parking lot off McIvor Avenue (line up on Norris Road, south McIvor Avenue)
- Summit Road closed landfill site, Summit Road north of Optimist Park
To keep you and our employees safe:
- Only one vehicle will be allowed per compost pile at a time.
- Customers must pack and carry your own compost. City employees will not be available to assist customers with their compost.
- Customers must use their own shovels and gloves. City equipment will not be available for customer use.
- Bring your own containers, shovel, and gloves - prepare to get a little dirty!
- Limit of 100 litres of compost per vehicle (approximately five 19-litre/5-gallon pails).
- Event is for Winnipeg residents only.
How to use our compost
Compost is a natural fertilizer that promotes vegetation growth and is often used on lawns and in gardens.
For best results, mix one part compost with three parts soil.
Benefits of using compost
Adding compost to your soil can help:
- save water
- improve soil structure
- add micronutrients
- create better conditions for plant growth
- reduce plant diseases
About the compost
This year’s compost is comprised of both leaf and yard waste collected curbside and food waste that was collected from residents participating in the City’s Residential Food Waste Collection Pilot Project.
The materials we collect are taken to the Brady Road Resource Management Facility and turned into a nutrient-rich material called compost. This compost meets Category A standards under the CCME Guideline for Compost Quality, which is safe to use in all household applications, including vegetable gardens.