Request a new Off-Leash Dog Area
We know Winnipeggers are passionate about their pets and want to provide them with wide open spaces to run and play.
In response to feedback from our animal-loving communities, we have developed a new Off-Leash Area Implementation Procedure that will help guide requests for, selection of, and implementation for new off-leash areas.
The procedure is based on a five-step process that includes:
- Request submission - submit your request for a new off-leash area or alteration to an existing off-leash area to the City of Winnipeg Parks and Open Space Division via an application form. The application form must include:
- A description of the proposed location along with a proposed site plan (this can be as simple as drawing boundaries on a map)
- Type of area requested
- A brief description of the site (including current and future users and rationale for your request)
- Demonstrated need and support for the area, including a petition with signatures from adjacent land owners and users
The application can also include documentation of any in-kind support for one-time capital costs or ongoing maintenance the applicant has already secured. (Letter of Support)
The entire process is much more in-depth than the above summary and can take anywhere from 10 weeks to one year depending on the scale of project, type of area proposed and nature of land designation and funding requirements. Requests can be denied at any stage of the process.
One exception to this process is the designation of community centre outdoor rinks as temporary off-leash areas through the non-winter months. Community members or community centre boards can request this designation through a separate process.
To learn more about the process or to request an off-leash area, please download one of the following resources:
- Off-Leash Area FAQ
- Open Application Information - coming soon
- Application Process Document
- Screening Question Form
- Sample Complete Screening Question Form
- Letter of Support Template
- Landowner/Adjoining Land-use Petition Information
- Petition Template
- Off-Leash Dog Area Master Plan