All successful applicants or Recruit Constables begin earning a salary, paid at the rate of a Fourth Class Constable upon appointment.
Recruit Constables are required to attend the Winnipeg Police Training Academy for instructional courses, which commence following appointment and constitute part of regular duties.
Paid basic training consists of 36 weeks and is broken down as follows:
- 18 weeks of Academics in Law and Law Enforcement.
- 16 weeks of Field Training.
- Two weeks of additional Academics.
Recruit Constables must successfully complete both the Academic and Field Training program. This includes passing:
- Firearms Training.
- Police Vehicle Operations.
- Use of Force Training.
Police Constables must satisfactorily complete a probationary period of two years from the date of appointment.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
The Winnipeg Police Service supports and encourages their members to continue their Police Training and Education. Numerous opportunities are provided for all Police personnel, up to the rank of Staff Sergeant, to participate in advance courses of study offered at:
- The Winnipeg Police Training Academy.
- Canadian Police College in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Other venues within Canada and the United States.