To help slow the spread of Covid-19, the spring giveaway weekend has been cancelled.
Give your reusable unwanted items a new home and keep them out of the landfill!
- May 15 and 16, 2021 - Cancelled
What to do
- place unwanted, reusable household items at the curb on your front street
- label each item with a "FREE" (pdf - 13kb) sticker or sign
- keep any items safely stored away that you don't want to give away
- remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday
What to give
- books, CDs, DVDs
- furniture, electronics, artwork, mirrors
- sports equipment, toys
- yard and gardening tools and equipment (e.g., lawn mowers, snow throwers, rakes, shovels)
- small appliances, kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- construction material (e.g., nails, paint, wood)
What not to give
- items harbouring bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
- visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that aren't safe to give away (e.g., baby walkers, lawn darts)
- Take only the items at the curb marked "FREE".
- Check all items closely for bed bugs before you put them in your vehicle or bring them into your home.
- Respect other people's property – don't walk or drive on people's lawns or gardens.
- Giveaway items should still be in good condition.
- Don't discard any items on another person's lawn.
- Obey the traffic laws at all times (e.g., don't block traffic, park illegally or block people's driveways with your vehicle) and watch out for children.
What to do with leftover items
- Consider donating unwanted items to:
- Diabetes Canada (clothing only)
- Goodwill Industries
- Salvation Army
- Local community gifting groups dedicated to keeping still useful items out of the landfill by offering them (free of charge) to others who are able to use them:
- Bulky items (e.g., furniture, mattresses) left at the curb will not be picked up with regular garbage collection. Contact 311 to arrange for special collection. A charge may apply.
- Leftover construction / renovation material will not be picked up with regular garbage collection. Please take it to a landfill.
Information on the giveaway weekends is also available by contacting 311.
The contents of this web page and other information provided by the City about the giveaway weekends are intended as helpful advice; they are not legally binding. Participants are responsible for the goods they are giving away and the goods they are acquiring. The City of Winnipeg does not accept any liability for any actions taken by participants in the giveaway weekends or for the type or quality of goods being given away or acquired as part of the giveaway weekends.