Site Accessibility Information Access Key 1 to Skip to Top Navigation Access Key 2 to Skip to the Three One One link Access Key 3 to Skip to City of Winnipeg Main Menu Access Key 4 to Skip to Left Navigation Menu Access Key 5 to Skip to Content area Access Key 6 to Skip to Right Sidebar content area Access Key 7 to Skip to Footer Links
City of Winnipeg
|  Link to the City of Winnipeg French websiteFrançais  |
COVID-19: City of Winnipeg response and latest updates on City facilities and services COVID-19 : Mesures prises par la Ville de Winnipeg et dernières nouvelles sur les installations et services municipaux

Water service

We provide the following services to operate water valves and supply water. Please contact 311 to inquire about any of these services.

Commercial property owners are responsible for repairing, renewing, maintaining or removing all fire protection water piping and valves.

Water turn off

Residential property Shut-off valve and meter photo

  • If you can't shut off the water to your home because there is a leak before the control valve by the meter or because the control valve is not working, we will shut off the water. There is no charge for this service.
  • Your control valve is usually located in the basement of your home near an outside wall.
    • The inlet side of the valve is connected to the water supply.
    • The outlet side of the valve is connected to the water meter.
  • If we are required to turn off the water because the shut-off valve by the meter is broken, it must be repaired or replaced before the water is turned back on. It is your responsibility to repair or replace it.

Commercial property

  • We will turn off the water at no charge.
  • Commercial property owners are responsible for repairing, renewing, supporting or removing all fire service piping and valves.

Top of page

Water turn on

  • When repairs inside the property have been completed, we will turn on the water to the property.
  • There is no charge to turn on water after repairs.
  • To prevent damage from a tap that may have been left open, someone must be home before the water service is turned back on.
  • If we were required to turn off the water because the control valve by the meter was broken, you must repair or replace the valve before the water is turned back on.
  • When our staff come out to turn on your water, they may exchange your water meter if it is due for replacement.

Top of page

Contractor request for water main turn off/on

To prevent property damage, there must be someone onsite before the water is turned back on.

Top of page

Hose lines

  • If a commercial property is without water and requires an uninterrupted supply of water, a temporary hose line can be installed at the customer's expense.
    • This solution is appropriate when there is a prolonged outage and there is a suitable and readily available alternate supply to connect to.
    • The cost to provide this service includes labour, material and equipment.
    • The charges for this service vary due to the complexity of the installation and the length of time the temporary service is required.
  • During winter, a continuous flow of water is required to prevent a hose line from freezing.
Last updated: February 8, 2019

Was this information helpful?

How can we make this web page better?

Information collected will be used to improve our website. Do not use this form to submit a request for service or information because it will not be forwarded to departments for response. To submit a request for service or information, contact 311.

This form is not intended to collect personal information; however, any personal information you choose to include in your comments is collected by the City of Winnipeg under the authority of section 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of improving our website and will not be used or disclosed for any other purposes, except as authorized by law. Contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Officer by mail (City Clerk’s Department, Susan A. Thompson Building, 510 Main Street, Winnipeg MB, R3B 1B9) or by telephone (311) if you have any questions about the collection of this information.

Ces renseignements sont-ils utiles?

Comment pourrait-on améliorer cette page Web?

Les renseignements recueillis serviront à l’amélioration de notre site Web. Prière de ne pas se servir de ce formulaire pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, car la demande ne sera pas transmise au service en question. Pour soumettre une demande de service ou de renseignements, veuillez communiquer avec le 311.

Le présent formulaire ne vise pas à recueillir des renseignements personnels. Cependant, les renseignements personnels que vous choisissez d’inclure dans vos commentaires sont recueillis par la Ville de Winnipeg en conformité avec l’alinéa 36(1)b) de la Loi sur l’accès à l’information et la protection de la vie privée dans le but d’améliorer son site Web et ne seront ni utilisés ni divulgués pour d’autres raisons, sauf dans les cas où cela est autorisé par la loi. Communiquez avec l’agent de l’accès à l’information et de la protection de la vie privée de la Ville par courrier au Bureau du greffier, immeuble Susan-A.-Thompson, 510, rue Main, Winnipeg (Manitoba) R3B 1B9, ou par téléphone au 311 si vous avez des questions sur la collecte de ces renseignements.